Awhile back I posted about the discovery bottles we had on our shelves. Well, after a year of the same bottles, SunnyGirl was starting to loose interest in them. I had for quite some time meant to make new ones but just never got around to it. That is, until I saw one of my favorite bloggers, Fun at Home with Kids, call for Discovery Bottles on her Facebook page. That was just the kick I needed to finally make some new bottles. Here’s what I came up with:
A fake flower and a dead bee preserved in 70% rubbing alcohol. (Just to clarify, I didn’t kill the bee, LittleMan found it already dead outside and promising him that I’d find a way to preserve it was the only way I could get him to stop trying to sneak it into the house behind my back. We had it in a smaller container on our nature table for a few months before today.)
Solar system. This was Marmaduke’s idea. All I did was go through our bead stash and gather round wooden beads about the right colors in 3 different sizes to resemble the planets. I added some details with colored Sharpie markers. Saturn’s rings are made with an orange pipe cleaner. Then I strung all the planets onto a dark colored pipe cleaner and put them in the bottle. I filled the bottle with water and added a drop of black food dye. Just enough to make the water dark but not so dark we couldn’t see the planets inside. Then I added some glitter to act as stars.
I call this the “how much is that doggie in the window” bottle, lol. Its just purple dish soap, music note confetti, and a few plastic dog figurines from a quarter machine at the mall. The dish soap makes everything inside move very slowly, hard to capture on camera but it looks cool.
Now for the fun part, the reason there was a call for discovery bottles on Facebook in the first place. Fun at Home with Kids compiled an album of everyone’s discovery bottles! It is the ultimate list for discovery bottle inspiration, check it out on Fun at Home with Kids’ Facebook page.by